Sunday, July 3, 2011

GF Blueberry Muffins! Udi wins again!

I love blueberry muffins. I have since I was a child. I don't eat them all the time, but not eating a blueberry muffin in the year I've been gluten free has been quite sad. Enter Udi baked goods. Again. I knew they made muffins, but my Publix didn't carry them, so I'd never tried them. I was investigating a new Publix to see what they offered, and right in the gluten free bread section was the Udi muffins. The muffins come in a tray of four muffins, and are a bit pricey, but the muffins are large, and it's cheaper (and often tastier) than going to a GF bakery. While I had high hopes because I trust Udi brand products, I didn't really know what to expect. When I opened the package, I was surprised to see huge grains of sugar on all of the muffins. These are not for dieters! These muffins are for days when I exercise or eat lots of salad! The first muffin I ate, I just took right out of the container. It had a good taste, but it was hard and crumbly. I was a bit disappointed, but then I remembered that when things are a bit dried out, it helps to wrap them in a paper towel and microwave them for a few seconds. So, the next day, I tried a muffin with the microwave technique. Bingo! We have a winner! These muffins suddenly were moist, spongy, warm, and delicious. When warmed, the contrast between the soft muffin and the crunchy sugar is really punctuated. The flavor of the blueberry is brought to the forefront. These are easily the best blueberry muffins I have ever experienced, gluten free or not. I highly recommend them, and if I suddenly gain about 50 pounds, you know why. ;) (Not happening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment