Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Culinary Disaster!

Excited about my new rice wrappers, I decided to make banana lumpia (egg rolls) for breakfast. I cut up my bananas, added cinnamon and sugar, and started getting my wrappers ready. They were hard and stiff, so based on directions I found online, I submerged them one at a time in water for about 15 seconds before using them. I placed my banana mixture on the wrapper, folded it up, and set it aside until I had filled all the ones I was making. The oil was ready, so I dropped the first one in. It started browning up nicely right away, and I was very happy. I put a second one in with the first one, and that was a mistake. They two stuck together, and in separating them, I tore the wrappers. This was the beginning of a downward spiral. All the rest of the lumpia started out well, but when I tried to turn them or remove them with tongs, the wrapper would tear, and banana mixture would spill out into the oil. I managed to salvage some, and I thought the wrappers and spilled mixture tasted alright, but it was not what I would call a success. I think the metals tongs are too sharp. I will try this again with maybe silicone tongs or tongs with more of a paddle on the tip. Oh well! We learn from these disasters and become better cooks for it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment