Thursday, July 7, 2011

More gluten free than meets the eye

Yesterday, Aaron and I started with some breakfast, but because it was foggy and overcast, we decided to wait on exploring nature. Instead, we FINALLY checked out Poppies and wandered around downtown for a bit. Poppies market has gluten free items, but it's not anything special. Whole Foods might do a better job, honestly. I did, however, find some soup mixes that are gluten free, including a chicken noodle soup mix with corn noodles. We bought a few of those. I also found some rice wrappers, which I have been wanting to try. I bought some of those, too, and I might buy some more before we leave. All in all, though, it was not the amazing experience I was told it would be. But then, those who told me probably have never seen Chamberlin's. Central Florida has it good! After Poppies, Aaron really wanted to try Rocky's, a restaurant next to a shop called Bullwinkle's. Haha, Rocky and Bullwinkle! ;) Anyway, it is a cute little malt shop with tons of retro Coke decoration, bar stools, and charm. Aaron ordered a strange little item called a grilled pimento cheese sandwich and a cherry soda. He enjoyed it greatly! The menu did have salads and things, but there were some cross-contamination concerns, and I wasn't feeling daring yesterday. So, I chose to wait for lunch until I could come home and eat left over pasta. On the way, though, we did stop at a gelato shop that caught my eye called Kiwi Gelato. I asked if they were gluten free. They were! All of their flavors are gluten free unless they specifically add cookies to the flavor. I had the Fior di Latte flavor. With its light, sweet cream flavor mixed with a hint of strawberry, it was quite lovely. Though they had great gelato, they didn't have the flavor I wanted to try - White Squirrel. I will have to catch that one before we leave! On the way back to the car, we passed a restaurant called Mayberry's, and we noticed a sign that said they offer gluten free bread! We will try them! After lunch, the sun came out and the day warmed up, so we headed out to Sliding Rock. So much fun! It is a 60-foot rock with a current of water that propels you into an 8ft pool of icy water. After that, it started raining again, so we hunkered down at home to stay out of the nasty storm. We made a lovely gluten free dinner right here, though. Aaron made pork chops seasoned with Chef Paul Prudhomme's Veal & Pork Magic, and I boiled some corn and made a fried green tomato. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment