Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Goodbye to North Carolina :(

After the banana disaster, Aaron and I headed back out into town. We had lunch at Hawg Wild BBQ, which is right by the entrance to the Pisgah forest. We called ahead, and the manager gave me a thorough rundown of everything I could eat there, and it sounded like I had several choices. Armed with information, I ordered a BBQ pork platter with their Eastern BBQ sauce, which has a vinegar base, and roasted corn on the cob. I was disappointed that I couldn't have traditional sauce (Western) because it had wheat as a thickener (as does all other BBQ sauce in North Carolina - BEWARE!), but it was fun to try something new! While it was totally different to have vinegar on pork, I liked it. After that, I decided that I had spent enough time in the rain and mud, and I wanted to have a night out in a dress. We started going to a local bluegrass jam session, but it wasn't very good, so we left. We ended up at a downtown restaurant called Square Root, which had trivia later that evening. I asked if they could accommodate my diet, and they said that almost everything on their menu could be modified, and that the sous chef's girlfriend had Celiac, so he knew all about gluten intolerance. I LOVE hearing this! When I hear that someone on staff closely knows someone who has Celiac, I know I'll be taken care of. I had a salad with citrus vinaigrette, curry, and berry sorbet. Aaron's dinner was also gluten free, and he ordered the daily special, swordfish. We also split a bottle of wine. His dinner was tastier than mine. While the curry was surprisingly authentic, including raita and a poppodom, it lacked flavor. All the correct spices were there, but it was very bland. The trivia was fun, though, and my date was dreamy! ;)

On our last day in Brevard, we had breakfast, hung around the house for a bit, and then went downtown again. Our first stop was at Mayberry's for lunch. Wow! One of my favorite meals in Brevard! This unassuming deli with trivia on a chalk board has some great food! I ordered a soup and sandwich combo with balsamic lentil soup and a turkey sandwich with cranberry walnut sauce (on Udi bread!). The soup was different. It had a tomato base and an almost sweet vinegar flavor. It was very good! My sandwich, however, deserves top billing. The turkey was a slice from a smoked whole turkey, and the cranberry walnut sauce was made fresh there. The bread was cooked in butter, and while it is not at all healthy, it is DELICIOUS! I could've eaten two ore sandwiches, they were so good. I did not, however, because I do have SOME restraint. Some. :) I was interested in seeing a movie at the downtown Co-Ed Theater, a cute, historic, single-screen theater, but we had about 2 and a half hours until the next showing. Needing to kill time, we wandered into OP Taylors, an awesome toy store that mixes modern and classic toys. We also found some gifts for friends and family. We perused antiques and a really fun architectural salvage shop. My favorite item we found (though I didn't get it) was an old knitting catalog from the 70's. In Japanese. Finally, it was time to see Cars 2 (great move, loved the Tokyo scenes). After that, we went back home and cooked some dinner. We weren't really hungry, so we pieced together a salad, pan-fried okra, and for me, boiled eggs.

The drive home was fairly uneventful. I ate a large breakfast before we left, so that we did not need to stop for food. Aaron grabbed taco bell on the way out of town. Still loaded with our gluten free snacks, we kept ourselves fed until dinner, for which we stopped in Brunswick, GA, again. We ate at a Ruby Tuesdays because they have a gluten free menu, and except for Aaron's complimentary cheddar biscuits, both of our meals were gluten free. I had a pesto mahi mahi with green beans and white cheddar mashed potatoes. The fish was very good, but the sides were just OK. The green beans had good flavor, but needed more seasoning. The mashed potatoes might have had good flavor, but I couldn't tell because the whole thing tasted like a salt lick. I was expecting deer to follow us back to our car!

No comments:

Post a Comment