Monday, April 11, 2011

A GF Reception

Yesterday, I held a studio recital for my voice and piano students, and we had a reception after the recital. When I host anything now, I make sure that it is gluten free, and I wanted to do the same for the reception. (I figure if I'm going through the trouble of organizing it, I should be able to freely enjoy it!) I also asked the students if they or any family members had food allergies, and found that we also needed to avoid peanuts and tree nuts. I was nervous about asking parents to bring food to the reception with all of these restrictions, but I trusted that they would understand that I wanted the food to be safe for everybody to eat. The parents really shocked me! They really took the idea and ran with it, and with a few brand suggestions, they came with tons of delicious food. We had chips, salsa, dip, vegetable trays, fruit trays, cupcakes, cookies, and brownies, and drinks. There was enough for everyone to have seconds and thirds, and people had them! The baked goods were delicious, and the parents were surprised that gluten free food could be that good or taste just the same as food containing gluten. The star of the reception menu, though, was the brownies. They were Betty Crocker GF brownies. They are amazing and so simple to make! Everyone wanted some, and everyone wanted to know who made them. People wanted to know how to make them at home, even though they didn't need to be gluten free! Even one of my best friends (and brownie experts) thought they were great. I was happy to have educated so many people. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment