Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bombay Cafe


I have been craving Indian food for a while now. I know that a lot of Indian food is naturally gluten free (Yay!), but I have been nervous, and haven't eaten at an Indian restaurant since my diagnosis. Also aiding my apprehension was a noticeable lack in reference to gluten free Indian restaurants in Orlando. At a work day for my husband's school, some of the parents and Aaron and I started discussing Indian food and where we like to eat. We mentioned a place we use to like to go on Orange Blossom Trail, and the parents said there was a great place across the street called the Bombay Cafe that was less expensive and, in their opinion, tastier. So, we decided to give it a shot tonight. It's not really hard to find, but it is tucked away in a smaller shopping center, so you do stay alert. We walked in and liked the atmosphere. We looked at the menu, and it looked very promising. My favorite dish (so far) was on it! Now, all we had to do was ask about the presence of gluten in the food. They were quite knowledgeable, and went through the menu, telling me exactly which items had gluten in them, and which ones did not. I started to get excited when many of the starters were gluten free, but then I asked if they were fried in the same fryer as the other food. They were. Drat! Luckily, though, my favorite, aloo gobi (pictured), was gluten free, so I was happy. Aaron ordered the bhindi masala, which was also gluten free, and also another one of my favorites. He also ordered a starter which was, unfortunately, not safe. Waiting for our food, we were tempted by all sorts of wonderful smells coming from the food on nearby tables. Luckily, our food came quickly! I first tried some of Aaron's bhindi masala, which was great, and then went on to try my aloo gobi. It was delicious! We ate until we were quite full, and left with tons of leftovers. I would still like to give my old place a try, but we will definitely be back. Definitely. Did I say we'd be back? Because we will be!

Knowledge - 4.5 stars
Accommodation - 3 stars
Taste - 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment