Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Mellow Mushroom

I have been wanting to try Mellow Mushroom's gluten free pizza for a while now, but despite how it looks on this blog, I don't eat out all the time. :) Today, however, has been pretty awesome, and Aaron and I went out to celebrate. We checked out the gluten free menu online, and found out that they also have vegan cheese in some locations, which is good news for all my gluten free vegan friends! We went to the location on Colonial Drive near UCF, which does provide vegan options. I was very impressed, because they had a pretty large gluten free menu, including Red Bridge beer and Woodchuck cider. They mention right on the menu that they take every possible precaution to keep the pizza gluten free, including separate prep spaces and utensils. Almost all of their specialty pizzas are listed on the gluten free pizza along with all of their base sauces. And if that isn't option enough, you can also create your own pizza with a large list of toppings and proteins. Tonight I chose the Funky Q Chicken pizza (with a few modifications). It usually comes with a BBQ sauce base, BBQ chicken, mozzarella, cheddar, caramelized onions, and Applewood smoked bacon. I substituted BBQ tofu for the chicken, and I added pineapple. It was delicious! Like pretty much all gluten free crusts I've had, it was thin, and had a slightly more crumbly texture than regular wheat crust, but it had a good flavor. The toppings were fantastic, and it completely hit the spot! I had an amazing experience. I was confident in my safety, I had great service, and the food was delicious. And, the best part is, I have enough left-overs for two more meals. :)


Knowledge - 5 stars
Accommodation - 4.5 stars
Taste - 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment