Monday, May 16, 2011

Steaks, Shakes, and Spicy Chicken

I know it's been a while since I've blogged. I have let life get in the way of stuff. Oops! There's not a lot to say about my gluten free adventures since my last post. In fact, only two events come to mind.

The first was a lovely lunch with Aaron at Pei Wei last Sunday. They have a limited but delicious GF menu, offering edamame, salads, and a few entrees. The restaurant is very careful about cross-contamination, which makes me feel very safe. The only downside for me is that my diet is about 95% vegetarian, and other than the edamame, there is no vegetarian option for me on the list. Since I'm allergic to shrimp, my only protein option is chicken. I have not experienced large portion of the menu yet, because I like the spicy chicken so much. It is delicious, and the portion is large enough to share between two people. Aaron and I shared this on Sunday. I will review this restaurant in more detail later. :)

The second experience that stands out in my mind is one from Friday night. After an AMAZING performance of Suessical Jr. from Howard Middle School, Aaron and the cast, crew, and parents had an after party at Steak and Shake. Fortunately, I was able to rearrange my work schedule and get to the school in time to see the show, and I was invited to the party! Unfortunately, I was hungry and not very hopeful about Steak and Shake's gluten free offerings. My prediction was correct. There was not a whole lot on the menu that I could eat. After a talk with the chef, whose brother-in-law has Celiac, I did my best to navigate the menu. I could eat hamburgers without the bun, but I was reluctant to do so, as I strongly prefer to eat a vegetarian diet (GF wins, though, if a choice must be made). Finally, I found a Southwest chicken salad. It usually comes with ranch dressing, which would have been my first choice if it was safe. It however, was not safe and neither was any other dressing on the menu except for the vinaigrette. I ordered my salad with the change in dressing, planning to remove the chicken from the salad when it arrived. Within a few minutes, the manager came to my table and explained that the chicken comes pre-marinated and the supplier did not provide a complete ingredient list (WHY?), so they could not guarantee the safety of the chicken. As I wasn't going to eat it anyway, this did rock my world too much. I was, however, very grateful that I was informed and could ask for the offending item to be removed from my salad. Had it come on the salad, just picking it off would have not been safe enough! Considering the fact that there were about 50 middle school students running around the restaurant, I was very impressed that the kitchen took so much time to help me. I was also impressed with how quickly my food was ready. The salad itself was not that incredible, but it was OK. The ingredients were fresh, and the jalapeno in the pico de gallo was quite spicy, which was a surprise. Since Steak and Shake does not have much gluten free food available, I probably won't be dining there on a whim, but it is nice to know that I can eat SOMETHING there and be safe if the need arises. Plus, they have the fun flavor syrups. :)

Knowledge - 4.5 stars
Accommodation - 4 stars
Taste - 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment