Sunday, September 11, 2011

Egg Rolls!


Alright, folks! I finally did it! Gluten free egg rolls are a success in my house tonight! It takes a little time, but it is really easy. Here's the recipe:

1lb ground pork
shredded cabbage and carrots (I used a bag of slaw mix)
soy sauce to taste
ginger to taste
pinch of nutmeg
lemon juice to taste
salt to taste
rice wrappers (about 10)

1) Brown the ground pork in a pan, mixing soy sauce and seasonings.
2) When the pork is almost completely cooked, add the cabbage and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender.
3) Fill plate with water. Submerge rice wrappers, one at a time, in the water for a few seconds to soften. Submerging too long with result in a wrapper that falls apart.
4) Place softened wrapper on a second plate. Add about two tablespoons of filling, and roll tightly. Put aside.
5) Place egg roll in about two inches of hot oil (about 375 F) until wrapper is opaque and slightly browned. Place cooked egg roll on a plate to cool.

It's important throughout the process that you do not let egg rolls touch each other, as they wrappers will stick together, even when cooked. The wrappers will also stick to paper towels and paper plates. The rice wrappers are much more delicate than traditional, wheat based egg roll wrappers, so they are harder to handle with tongs. In the past, I used metal tongs and ripped the wrappers, exposing the filling. Tonight, I used flat, silicone-tipped tongs that worked very well.

The filling had a good flavor, though I wish the wrapper would have been slightly more crispy. I think that the consistency is due to my lack of skill. For a first successful attempt, though, I am incredibly pleased with my result.

No comments:

Post a Comment