Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Popeye Would Be Proud

In an effort to tone up my body, I am focusing on a high-protein, low(er)-carb diet. For my mornings, this means eggs. Lots. of. eggs. And while I make lovely eggs, there's only so many times you can make a recipe without getting bored. I decided something with spinach would be nice, so I scoured the internet for a recipe that involved spinach and scrambled eggs. I found a recipe entitled Scrambled Eggs with Spinach on About.com that I quite enjoy, though I did modify it to use the ingredients I had in my kitchen already. Also, I quartered the recipe so that it made only one serving. Here it is:

12oz package of baby spinach leaves
2tbs olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I used garlic powder)
4tbs heavy cream (I used 2% milk)
8 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste (I used red pepper for a little kick)
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves (I omitted these)
2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese

Coarsely chop spinach leaves. Heat oil in large, heavy skillet and cook onion and garlic until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook, stirring often, until spinach is tender, about 5-7 minutes.

In small bowl, beat cream with eggs, salt, pepper, and thyme until foamy (the milk did not get foamy). Add the egg mixture to the skillet, stirring to allow the eggs to scramble with the spinach, about 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Makes 4 servings

Having less food, I chose a small skillet, and the cooking times were lower. The recipe was delicious, though I think the garlic made the flavor a little darker than I was anticipating this morning. The new recipe was a nice change in my morning routine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment